British Engineer Gordon Styles founded Star-Prototype in 2005. Since then the company has grown rapidly to provide high-quality parts and products to customers all over the world. Find out more about where star has come from in the timeline below.
- June 2005: Star Prototype China Limited was founded in Hong Kong by Gordon Styles as a start-up with just USD 8,000 available cash
- 15th July 2005: Gordon Styles moved to live full-time in China
- September 2005: STAR started to do Google Adwords advertising and received its first orders. Parts were manufactured by suppliers and shipped initially to the UK and USA
- Early one-man business operated out of a small bedroom in Dongguan
- June 2006: first employee – James Li
- April 2007: Star Prototype Representative Office founded in Zhongshan with four employees
- April 2009: Star Prototype Manufacturing Limited Wholly Owned Foreign Entity (WFOE) founded in Zhongshan Torch Development Zone with its own factory employing at outset 50 people
- 2014 closed the year with sales of USD 14m, 186 employees, 21 CNC machines and occupying 42,000 ft2.
- March 2015: receipt of the company’s first Renishaw AM-250 DMLS 3D Printing machine for metals and first 5-axis CNC machining centre. STAR lanuched as one of the World’s first full-service Additive/Subtractive Manufacturing companies
- Ownership: STAR continues to be owned 100% by Gordon Styles with no debt and plenty of cash in the bank